Gene technology carries with it social and ethical implications—many of which engender personal views and discussion.
Select one (1) of the following biotechnology topics to write about:
- Genetically modified crop plants
- Genetically modified microorganisms
- Genetically modified animals
- Personal genomics and / or personalized medicine for humans
- Gene therapy
Write a four to six (4 to 6) page paper on your chosen topic. Organize your paper into sections corresponding to the following requirements:
- Biological basis. Describe the technology. Discuss what it accomplishes. Elaborate on the scientific principles that make this technology possible. Your goal in this section of the paper is to show the instructor that you understand the underlying science behind the technology. Describe how exactly the technology works. Discuss the biological principles that underlie this technology.
- Social and ethical implications. Without disclosing your personal view about this technology, provide an analysis of its social and ethical implications. State the ethical concerns apparent in the use of this technology. Discuss the benefits and risks. Your goal in this section is to look at all sides of the issue. In the next section, you will give your opinion.
- Personal viewpoint. In the previous section, your goal was to be as objective as possible, to look at all sides of the issues. In this section, your goals are to give a personal opinion about the technology and provide a justification of that opinion.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment, in addition to the course text. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources. The body of the paper must have in-text citations that correspond to the references. Integrate all sources into your paper using proper techniques of quoting, paraphrasing and summarizing, along with proper use of in-text citations to credit your sources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
● what is name of the new unit and what topics will Professor Moss cover? How does this unit correlate to modern times?
● what problems were apparent in urban America?
● what were the three main streams of immigration up through the 1920s? What are “birds of passage?” How were Japanese and Korean immigrants different than Chinese immigrants? What is meant by “pale of settlement” and “pogrom.”
● What is meant by “Americanization” and how did this process occur?
● What were the various forms of popular culture during this era, and why were they important?
● what forms of popular culture did working women enjoy? How did middle-class reformers react to these forms?
● what is meant by “the new woman” and “mothers to society?”
● How did middle-class men generally respond to the changing times? Why were people like Eugene Sandow and Harry Houdini so significant at this time?
● What were some of the examples of nativism at this time?
● What was the Social Gospel and what are settlement houses?
Imagine you own Springfield Arms Apartments, a business that rents primarily to students. One evening, your tenant Sharon is attacked by an intruder who forces the lock on the sliding glass door of her ground-floor apartment. Sharon’s screams attract the attention of Darryl, your resident manager, who comes to Sharon’s aid. Together, Darryl and Sharon drive the intruder off, but not before they both are badly injured by the intruder.
Write a 1,050- to 1,400-word paper in which you include the following:
- Explain whether or not the intruder is liable for his actions.
- Explain your legal duties and responsibilities to Sharon and Daryl.
- Differentiate among some of the potential torts that might arise from this business context.
- Discuss ways to prevent or mitigate the risk of the potential torts.
- Apply ethical principles to this business scenario.
- Discuss what, if any, ethical responsibilities you have to Sharon and Daryl.
Cite to at least four scholarly references.
Use the below reference as one of the references:
Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines.
Kim and Park (2011) argue that corporate social responsibility (CSR) activities not only have value for benefitting social causes but can also be regarded as recruiting tools for attracting potential employees who perceive the organization and its CSR activities as an ethical fit. The foundation of this argument comes from an organizational perspective that views employees as important assets for a corporation. Coming from this perspective would mean that corporations would be cognizant about the imperative to have an active CSR program that matches corporate values, missions, and cultures.
Conduct Internet research and identify the top ten companies to work for last year. Choose one of these companies and research its CSR activities.
In your posting, respond to the following:
- What are the company’s CSR activities?
- What do these activities say about the company?
- Do you think that these activities are cause beneficial or cause exploitative? Give evidence for your answer.
- Would you consider working for this company?
Support your answers with appropriate research and reasoning
Organizations are susceptible to an array of crises. There are different types of threats with no “one way” to manage them. This reality presents multiple business challenges to those in leadership positions. Each manager is responsible for managing risks within their own sphere of operations and area of responsibility. To this end, one must understand that crisis leadership is a process. For this assignment, you are required to identify a business crisis issue that interests you and develop a report.
Address the following in your report:
- Identify and describe a business crisis situation and the main leaders involved. It could be one that you have experienced or have read about. Be sure to include a discussion of ethical implications.
- Assess the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats, and industry trends (SWOTT) the company faced while its leaders were managing the crisis.
- Assume you are a leader; recommend ways you could ensure that you have a clear view of risks across the organization in regard to the given scenario.
- Identify a risk management process you would employ to mitigate risks in regard to the given scenario along with a rationale (utilize contemporary and classical leadership theories in support).
- Recommend what you would do to ensure the risk management process is working the way you expect in regard to the scenario.
- Describe ways to identify and manage uncertainties in a complex corporate environment (utilize contemporary and classical leadership theories to support your argument).
Utilize at least three scholarly sources (in addition to your textbook) to complete your research, referencing the sources within the text and at the end in a reference list.
Write a 6–8-page report in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
Make sure you write in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship through accurate representation and attribution of sources; and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Discussion—Position and Sources of Power
Power is a leader’s influence over their followers. While power has the potential to control others, it is the perception of power rather than the actual use of it that can influence, manage, and move people and organizations to a higher level of efficiency.
Do the following to complete this assignment:
- Discuss the differences between legitimate, reward, coercive, and referent power. Give an example of each or the appropriate uses of these expert powers. Include responses to the following:
- Explain how they are similar and how they are different.
- Describe your experience with these types of power.
Write your initial response in a minimum of 200–300 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
Beginning Saturday, February 27, 2016, post your responses to the appropriate Discussion Area.ThroughWednesday, March 2, 2016, comment on at least two of your peers’ responses.
Do the following when responding to your peers:
- Read all posts from your peers.
- Respond to feedback on your post and provide feedback to other students on their ideas.
- Provide substantive comments by contributing new, relevant information or quotes from course readings, academic and trade journals, company websites, or other sources; building on the remarks or questions of others; or sharing practical examples of key concepts from your professional or personal experiences.
- Make sure your writing is clear, concise, and organized; demonstrates ethical scholarship through accurate representation and attribution of sources; and displays accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
The Centervale town council has recently become enamored with the idea of incorporating a more theory-driven approach in the development and execution of juvenile justice policies. While the council has a general understanding of what delinquency theories encompass, it has a limited understanding of how these theories are classified and how best they might be implemented.
As the local expert on juvenile justice theory, you have been asked by the town council to prepare a brief 7–9-slide Microsoft PowerPoint presentation describing the most relevant theories that pertain to juvenile delinquency at both the individual and the social levels. To save time, the council has asked you to limit your overview to three individual-level theories and three social-level theoris.
In your presentation:
- Identify whether each theory explains delinquency at the individual or the social level.
- Examine the basic premise of each theory and summarize the research that has been used to develop or evaluate the theory.
- Describe how the theory may be used to support or explain various types of policies or practices aimed at controlling or preventing juvenile delinquency.
Your presentation should have 7–9 slides, including references used in the research. Provide details in the Notes section of the presentation.
Include an APA-formatted reference page that links back to your in-text citations and supports your recommendations. Remember, you cannot have only in-text citations or only references; you must have both because in-text citations and references link to each other.
Please define the relationship between culture and technology and show three examples of this relationship either in history or around us today.
The paper should be five (5) pages. The paper should contain all traditional academic essay components: introduction containing clear and spirited thesis, sequenced paragraphs, and a powerful conclusion. Your Works Cited should have between 3-6 sources.
For this paper, you are asked to examine specific aspects of the theory and compare it to the theories in your previous two chapters. Your paper should be four to five pages in length, not counting your title page or references. Papers should be double-spaced with a font size of 12 and follow APA style. Be sure to use examples from your readings and research to support your position throughout your paper. Address the following in your paper:
- Summarize the major aspects of cognitive information processing.
- Analyze the strengths and weaknesses of cognitive information processing, in general.
- Apply cognitive information processing to a practical situation in your specialization. Describe the situation, how the theory can be applied, and what the expected outcomes would be.
- Analyze the processes of memory and transfer in cognitive information processing.
- Compare behaviorism, social cognitive theory, and cognitive information processing.
- Write in a concise, balanced, and logically organized manner. Use grammar, punctuation, and mechanics expected of graduate-level composition, using the accepted form and style of the profession, including APA cited support and format.
Consider the following scenario:
A mom is trying to increase the amount of peas that her two children eat. She uses a sticker chart to monitor the amount of peas they are consuming and rewards them based on the number of stickers they have at the end of the week. The mom has found that this works for one child, but not the other.
Write a 350- 500 -word paper discussing the following:
- Identify the behavior that the mom is trying to reinforce.
- Identify the method of reinforcement being used.
- Explain possible reasons for this method working for one child and not the other.
- Propose and outline three ideas that may work to increase pea consumption for the children, and include one method that uses negative reinforcement.
Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines.